TOTAL BEGINNERS/NEW START (5 YEARS +)
DEPTH OF WATER
0.7m – 0.9m Learner Pool
To Encourage, Safety, Greater Enjoyment Through The Fundamentals Of Swimming
SYLLABUS OF LEARNING
- Health and Hygiene – Setting the Scene
- Pool rules, toilet, shower, swim hats, changing rooms
- Eating before swimming, verruca, ear infection/open wounds, infectious diseases
- Pool profile, safe entry and exit, use of buoyancy aids, water confidence
- Entry, walking, running, splashing, jumping, stars, blowing bubbles, picking objects of bottom of pool
- Introduction to deeper water, regaining standing position front and back, push and glide, stroke development, legs and arms.
LEVEL 1 COMPETENCY AWARD BASED UPON ABILITY OF PUPIL TO:
- Demonstrate safe entry.
- Submerge eyes and nose in water while blowing bubbles for 5 seconds.
- Kick on front with floating aid with face in the water for 5 metres.
- Kick on back with floating aid for 5 metres.
- Float on front and back unassisted (star shape).
- Push and glide on front into wall.
- Demonstrate confidence jumping into water.
- Pick sinking ring from pool bottom.